COED Fall Meetings: 2022 | 2021 | 2020 | 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010
Report-back: Common opportunities and challenges for 2013–14
- Growth in attention and respect for teaching and learning; not always backed up with funding. Wanting evidence-based activities yet no support of teaching and learning research.
- Increased collaborations across: universities; colleges and universities; could there be an opportunity to info share these collaborations?
- Finding balance between new opportunities and quality of what we do.
- Strategic Mandate Agreements: teaching and learning components; can we help institutions shape and track this?
- Inroads into institutional nooks and crannies we haven’t been able to access before (thanks to curriculum work); links to Quality Assurance–this has workload implications. How do we manage within a centred in a distributed way? Especially given we often don’t “drive” the process.
- COED involved in the planning of COU Learning Outcomes Symposium? Could help influence the agenda?
Challenges “in every challenge is an opportunity”
- Sessionals: under-serviced group; how do we know who we are? Ideas; just in time training, speaking with union, different information is needed (basic through advanced), developing guides for new sessionals; connecting with chairs (could provide information on who has been hired)
- Assessing the impact of our centres. Could we collectively identify methods for doing this? Is there an approach we can take to identify the quality of our work?
- Prescriptivness and policing around good pedagogical practices. How do we address the concern of “homogeneous” practice. SoTL could be an opportunity to offer the plurality of practices.
- Increasing number of EDs; increasing contracts. Does it lead to inequity amongst our peers?
- Drop out rate. Do we re-visit the workshop model?
- Ontario Online initiative. Very demanding timelines and yet a lack of clarity on the bigger picture, timelines, and quality expectations. Curiously, this has caused a greater scrutiny on quality in the online realm without expectations of same attention to F2F
Review the complete document of challenges and opportunities from the table groups.